Benin city is the capital and the largest city in Edo State in Southern Nigeria. It is home to various amazing things, from its rich cultural attractions and traditions to its colorful festivals and world-renowned art. For the most part of the year, the movement was restricted due to the pandemic. The lockdown is over, we now have another opportunity to breathe in new freshness and add more bliss to our lives. This is the best time to hang out with our family, friends, and loved ones in one of those amazing places in the city of Benin and make up for lost times.
If you are wondering where one of those places could be, here are our top 5 picks!
1. The Royal Palace Of The Oba Of Benin: Located in the heart of Benin, the royal palace is home to the Oba of Benin and royal leaders. You can go on a tour of the beautiful palace and take pictures of the architectural designs. You should also know that the palace visit comes with things to do and not to do as regards traditions. One of the restrictions in the palace includes; no wearing of black clothing, this is because black represents mourning and the Oba of Benin is seen as a deity who has no reason to mourn. Others include whistling which is usually seen as summoning evil spirits or pointing at the Oba or his chiefs, while dogs are not allowed due to sacrificial reasons. To really enjoy the experience, a tour guide will come in very handy.
2. Kada Plaza In spots as ancient as Benin City, the Kada Plaza offers a different modern counterpoint to the cultural sights and sounds that normally accompany a historic city. Kada Plaza is one of the best places to hang out with friends and family. It offers an arcade, a Chinese restaurant, a shopping complex, and a go-kart racing arena. And for the movie lovers, it all has a cinema with each auditorium equipped with state-of-the-art projection and Dolby surround sound. Kada Cinema is the perfect place to catch your new favorite movies and blockbusters with the range of new movies being shown week in and week out.
3. Benin National Museum: Benin national museum is home to priceless Benin art, history, antiques, and other artifacts from around the country. Everyone is invited to come to learn and experience Benin culture. The museum holds three galleries and is one of the largest museums in terms of indigenous artifacts in Nigeria, making it a must-visit for history and culture lovers. Some of the things you can do there are to visit the terracotta sculptures and educate yourself about the great Benin City.
4. Okomu National Park
The park holds a remnant of the Nigerian lowland forests. You will find trees like Kapok and Celtis zenteri. The park is also a home to buffaloes, red river hogs, chimpanzees, leopards, bush baby, putty nosed guenon, porcupine, pangolins, duikers, and antelopes. It is also a sanctuary for the white-throated monkey, one of the rarest in the world. Those who love watching birds and butterflies will find this place fun to be. You are also free to visit the treehouse and take pictures of or with wildlife. Sound fun right?
5. Benin Moat: Also known as ‘Iya’. The Benin moat is one of the largest man-made earthworks. It was built before the advent of modern technology or equipment, the wall served as protection for the city against invaders especially the European imperial invaders who were notorious slave hunters. The moat is said to be four times longer than the Great Wall of China and also the largest single archaeological phenomenon in the world. Isn’t that amazing? This is surely a place to go and spend some great time out.
Those are our top five places you can visit in the great city of Benin. Take a day off, check them out and enjoy the thrill and excitement they bring. Going to and fro these amazing places might come with a bit of stress, but QuickGo takes that away. It’s more fun to go to those places in the best ride, and that’s why we recommend you use QuickGo. Download the QuickGo app, book your ride and experience ease while you visit the places you love with those you love.
- 5 Ways Of Making The Best Of Your Weekend
- How To Set-Up A Daily Routine To Become Your Best Self. Powered By QUICKGO .
- Okonjo Iweala honours 4 year old girl who modelled her look with ankara cloth.
- NGOZI OKONJO IWEALA’S FIRST DAY AS THE NEW DIRECTOR GENERAL OF THE WORLD TRADE ORGANISATION
- 14th Headies